Something from NothingRegular price $8.99
Phoebe Gilman's beloved classic celebrates its 20th anniversary!
Joseph's grandfather made him a beautiful blanket when he was a baby, but now it's frazzled and worn, and Joseph's mother says it is time to throw it out. Joseph doesn't want to part with his special blanket, and he's sure that his grandfather can fix it. Sure enough, Grandfather miraculously alters the blanket into useful items again and again. But when Joseph loses the final item, even Grandfather can't make something from nothing. But maybe Joseph can?
Based on the Yiddish folktale "Joseph's overcoat," Phoebe Gilman's gorgeous artwork charts the transformation of the blanket and the progress of Joseph's family through the years, subtly teaching young readers about a lost way of life.
- Winner, Sydney Taylor Notable Book for Younger Readers, 1993
- Winner, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Award, 1993
- Short-listed, Utah Children's Picture Book Award, 1995
- Short-listed, Mr. Christie's Book Award, 1992
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre, 2008
- Commended, Antigo Sugar Maple Award, 1995
- Commended, White Ravens Selection (International Youth Library), 1994
- Commended, Canadian Materials Best of the Year List, 1994
- Commended, American Bookseller Magazine's "Pick of the List", 1993
- Commended, Canadian Library Association, Notable, 1992
- Commended, Canadian Children's Book Centre, Our Choice, 1992